[Python-ideas] [Python-Dev] Byte code arguments from two to one byte: did anyone try this?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 13:23:36 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Jurjen N.E. Bos
<j.bos-interpay at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Did anyone try this already? If not, I might take up the gauntlet
> and try it myself, but I never did this before...

a) This is more on topic for python-ideas rather than python-dev (cc
changed accordingly)

b) My off-the-top-of-my-head guess is that caching effects will swamp
any impact such a change might have. The only way to find out for sure
is going to be for someone to try it (along the lines of the already
mentioned WPython variant)  and see what happens for benchmarks like
pybench and the execution times of various test suites.

Cheers,
Nick.