[Python-ideas] Why make ‘shutil.destinsrc’ private?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jul 15 00:59:18 CEST 2011

Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org>
writes:

> Ben Finney <ben+python at ...> writes:
> > Benjamin, what was the rationale for making ‘shutil.destinsrc’ no longer
> > part of the public API?
>
> Please see http://bugs.python.org/issue2047

Thank you. (Has the Python development team considered a policy of
noting bug report URLs in the commits that address those bug reports?
That would have made the forensic work easier.)

So AFAICT the strongest justification for the change has its origin in
<URL:http://bugs.python.org/issue2047#msg63157> by Raghuram Devarakonda:

    destinsrc() is an internal function used only in shutil.move().

But I don't see an argument made against Joseph Armbruster's suggestion
<URL:http://bugs.python.org/issue2047#msg63156>:

    I would have expected to find a function like this in os.path, not
    shutil.

--
 \       “Come on Milhouse, there’s no such thing as a soul! It’s just |
  `\      something they made up to scare kids, like the Boogie Man or |