[Python-ideas] Left division operator

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Sun Jul 17 19:05:46 CEST 2011

Den 17.07.2011 18:27, skrev Steven D'Aprano:

> tmp = denominator()  # Evaluate this first, because it has side-effects.
> result = numerator()/tmp

The order of the arguments is lost to the division operator.

> you can write this:
>
> result = denominator()\numerator()

Only for real numbers.

    result = denominator()\numerator()

would be equivalent to

    tmp = 1/denominator()
    result = tmp * numerator()

But please ignore this suggestion, I agree that it is a bad suggestion.

There is a better solution for this particular problem, which is to make
1/x return a new type, so that (1/x)*y evalutes differenty from y*(1/x).
So I am thinking of suggesting addition of an "inverted matrix" type to
NumPy instead.

Sturla