[Python-ideas] Enums

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Jul 25 19:06:21 CEST 2011

On Jul 24, 2011, at 05:33 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>For enums, I think we should just pick a solution. I'm in favor of
>Barry Warsaw's version, flufl.enum.

Thanks!  I would be quite happy to see the library pulled into the stdlib, and
I'd be willing to maintain a backward compatible standalone version for older
Pythons.

For me, the API has been quite stable.  The last thing I added was Michael
Foord's make_enum() contribution, and PJE's fix for pickling.  I haven't felt
a burning need to add anything else really in quite some time.

(I'll respond to specific details later in the thread.)

I'm sure my contributors agreement would cover this, and I'd be happy to
release it under the APLv2.0 for that purpose.

-Barry