[Python-ideas] Enums

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Jul 28 01:00:57 CEST 2011

On Jul 28, 2011, at 08:24 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>For compatibility reasons, though, I believe it is worth following the
>precedent set by bool: if integer constants are to be replaced by
>named values, the replacement needs to support everything the previous
>value did. The easiest way to achieve that is by inheriting directly
>from the previous value's type.

I mentioned in a separate follow up that I'd be open to that, if someone wants
to submit a patch.

>1. I find the "enum" concept too limiting. NamedValue (as a mixin
>class) is a better building block since it separates the naming aspect
>from the "group of values" aspect implied by enum.

I think that's all fine, but it's getting far from *my* simple concept of
enumerated values.  Go for it though. :)

>But the grouping behaviour? I really don't see a lot of value in that
>- just boilerplate. We don't write bool.True and bool.False, we write
>True and False.

That's only because True and False are bound in a particular module namespace.
There's no reason why specific EnumValues couldn't also be similarly bound.

-Barry