[Python-ideas] New pattern-matching library (was: str.split with multiple individual split characters)

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 21:25:56 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 9:53 PM, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's unfortunate that there isn't a good way to do this kind of
> long-range work within the auspices of Python. I can imagine a number
> of projects like this that fail to attract interest due to low
> perceived chances of success and a dearth of community feedback.

Once a good library had a solid foundation, it could plug itself into some
widely used Python programs and gain publicity and support from there,
before pushing for inclusion in the stdlib.

A good example is Django's URL mapping, which currently uses regexps. I
think it would be possible to get Django to support an alternate pattern
matching method, in addition to regexps, since this would make learning
Django easier for developers who don't grok regexps.

- Tal Einat