[Python-ideas] The Descriptor Protocol...

Martin Chilvers martin.chilvers at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 19:25:23 CET 2011

G'day,

On 02/03/2011 17:59, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> It never occurred to me to think of the descriptor protocol the way
> you do, and it never even occurred to me to that the key would ever be
> needed. You can invoke principles of information flow until you're
> blue in the face, but IMO it is totally reasonable to drop information
> that has been used already as a request passes through layers of
> abstraction.

True, but in this case the 'droppage' ;^) is at the first layer of
abstraction and the first hook point...

> FWIW, rhetorical questions like "why doesn't Python do X"
> are usually a poor way to start a discussion about a feature request.

Which is why my original post started with:-

"Please excuse me if I have missed something obvious, but I have a
question about the implementation of the descriptor protocol, and more
specifically about the arguments passed to the '__get__' and '__set__'
methods."

and finished with:-

"Again, apologies if I've missed the obvious"

Which, I don't think, is confrontational in any way, and simply asked
what I firmly believe is a legitimate question about the API.

Martin