[Python-ideas] Add links in manual to test_modules.

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Mar 19 04:28:13 CET 2011

I am already making use of the source links added to the 3.2 manuals.

I propose that we also add links to test-modules where appropriate, both
in the language and library manuals.

1. It would help developers.

2. It could help users. Each test module is a set of examples of how to
use the corresponding aspect of Python both correctly and incorrectly,
with many corner cases that might not be clear from the manual.

Each test module should exercise every feature of the stdlib module or
other area covered. In addition, unlike external sets of examples, the
test suite is updated and expected to run with the corresponding version.

As language and implementation tests are better separated, people could
better see which behavior is which.

3. Exposing the test suite would expose deficiencies and encourage
improvements.

--
Terry Jan Reedy