[Python-ideas] Linking Doug's stdlib documentation to our main modules doc.

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 23:47:02 CET 2011

On Mar 19, 2011, at 3:29 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> Good: just link them all as part of the module documentation
> generation process. Some people may understand the stdlib docs better,
> some may understand PyMOTW better, but providing ready access to both
> is unlikely to actively *confuse* anyone that wasn't already lost.

It is interesting how this thread continues to press ahead
even after Doug himself has said "it seems best to treat
PyMOTW as a separately maintained resource and let users
find it separately".

The seems unequivocal to me.

Raymond

P.S.  I really like Doug's collected articles and find them
to be a pleasure to read; however, the articles have
a introductory survey quality to them and do not purport
to be up-to-date or to be complete (many methods, flags,
arguments, classes, are omitted), so I'm not sure how well
they would serve as primary documentation.

My experience with Whatsnew in 3.1 and 3.2 showed that
Python is changing at a rate that is very difficult to keep
up with (for example, it entailed reading and researching
several thousand lines of Misc/NEWS entries), so keeping
the articiles up-to-date would not be a trivial task.