[Python-ideas] Linking Doug's stdlib documentation to our main modules doc.

Brian Jones bkjones at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 02:18:06 CET 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Alexander Belopolsky <
alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Alexander Belopolsky
> <alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> ..
> > Let me review that page more thoroughly.
>
> I'll focus on criticism even though, overall I find the
> PyMOTD:datetime page a good introduction to the datetime module.   I
> would recommend this page to beginners, but probably *before* the
> official docs, so a "see also" link is probably not the right way to
> link PyMOTD pages.   Maybe a link to PyMOTD should be added to the
> main docs.python.org page.
>
> Now, what I don't like about PyMOTD:datetime.
>
> 1. Order of presentation: time, date, timedelta, datetime, tzinfo.
> For an introductory article, I would start with date, then do datetime
> and timedelta.  The time objects are not that useful and aware time
> objects are rather exotic since time method of datetime strips tzinfo.
>  The first example exposes the reader to the tzinfo attribute of time
> objects without any explanation.

This is all just so ridiculous.

If we're so sensitive to some (btw, arbitrary and subjective in this case)
ordering, then why is the official stdlib documentation *not* in this order?
Why does the datetime module documentation not cover the actual class for
which it is named until after things like timedelta? Why does the document
start out by covering constants, follow with available types, then shove in
a few completely random miscellaneous statements, and dive into the
timedelta object? Is this *really* the best way to introduce the datetime
module to someone new to the language? How does the standard documentation
hold up to the criteria you're using to critique the PyMOTW documentation?
Why is there so much energy put forth to squash a good idea and almost none
toward doing the actual work to improve what's already there? If the
standard documentation was really that awesome, this discussion may never
have come up. Let's think about the bar we've set in the standard library
docs, and consider how PyMOTW contributes to raising that bar.

The standard lib documentation is *not* all that awesome, *especially* for
newcomers, in large part because large swaths of it are probably
autogenerated direct from the source code. It therefore lacks almost any
notion of human tone or personality, is completely unopinionated, dry, and
in plenty of cases fails to document a given module completely. Where it
does *document* completely, it doesn't necessarily provide examples
illustrating the complete set of functionality provided by the module.
Neither does PyMOTW, but the point is that they're complementary resources.

PyMOTW provides a "feel" for a module. The stdlib docs are really designed
to be a reference. If they *weren't* designed to strictly be a reference,
then they need more work than I thought.

Anyway, this critique is completely orthogonal to the issue at hand. What I
think we're after here is:

1. Adding value over and above the standard library documentation
2. Targeting an audience (newbies or new-to-Python) that is just about
completely ignored by the standard library documentation.

Do the PyMOTW documents, on the whole, add value over and above the standard
library documentation? I have yet to hear any compelling argument that they
don't.

Doug's existing 2.7-based work should be linked in the Python 2.7
documentation. This is not to say that this should happen to the exclusion
of any other existing or future material by other authors. We already link
to other external material, so it's not like there's no precedent for this.
There's no precedent for the pervasiveness of the links being proposed, but
that's because there's no precedent for a single work that so closely
mirrors and deliberately targets full coverage of every module in the
standard library.

Does the proposal represent perfection? Absolutely not. Perfection would
involve an overhaul of the existing documentation, which in plenty of places
sucks no matter what your experience with Python or programming in general.
But even if that were to occur, I think Doug's work would still add value.

I move to stop playing Monday morning quarterback with Doug's work. There's
no work that couldn't be better based on anyone's subjective idea of what
"better" means.

I've been in the position in the past of editing Doug's work. I'm currently
reviewing Doug's book. I've been a long-time reader and user of both the
standard library docs and PyMOTW. I'm working on a book for O'Reilly *right
now* that will compete *directly* with Doug's book. I have the capability
and, some might speculate, a motive to rip Doug's work apart. Doing so, in
my opinion, has no merit, hinders efforts to improve the overall experience
of those new to the language, and attempts to hide a perfectly worthy
collection of work from those in need. Further, when these people come to
stackoverflow and say that they have a question not answered by the standard
docs, we're all going to point them to PyMOTW anyway.

Doug's work is solid. Not perfect -- solid. It approaches topics in a
reasonable way, provides a bit more humanistic tone and personality, covers
the topics accurately, and does so for the entire standard library. If I
weren't knee-deep in a book project of my own, I'd be happy to make this
task my first commit ever to the Python documentation tree. If this thread
continues until July, I just might be able to do that ;-)

brian

Brian K. Jones
My Blog          http://www.protocolostomy.com
Follow me      http://twitter.com/bkjones