[Python-ideas] 1_000_000

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Sat May 7 00:45:23 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> The only wrinkle is that currently '_1' is usable name, and that should
> probably be disallowed if the above change took place.

Why?  I've never seen a leading thousands separator in practice.  For example,

    ,123,456

isn't generally accepted usage, so why should

    _123_456

be considered acceptable?

(I'm not taking a position on the proposal here; just commenting on the problem
of breaking code by making _1 a number instead of an identifier.)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fdrake at acm.org>
"Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities."