[Python-ideas] Add additional special method lookups to math module

Case Van Horsen casevh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 23:31:02 CET 2011

Paul Moore wrote:
> On 9 November 2011 20:15, Masklinn <masklinn at masklinn.net> wrote:
>> This would mean custom numerical types wouldn't be drop-in compatible with existing numerical *code*,
>> which I am under the impression is what Case Van Horsen wants (and is a desirable outcome).
>>
>> Furthermore, your second paragraph is not correct: Case does not propose "changing the behavior of
>> built-in modules depending on the presence of another module", Case proposes adding *method hooks*
>> to existing math and cmath functions. These would be protocols allowing custom numerical types to
>> implement `math`/`cmath`'s operation in a sensible manner, as is already possible for four methods he
>> mentions, as well as a number of other Python operations[0], including prominent numerical ones[1].

Correct. If a type does not implement one of the special methods, then
there would be no change to the behaviour of the math/cmath modules.

> I like the idea of being able to extend the math functions to allow
> user-defined numeric types to behave like built in ones. (In fact, if
> this were possible, complex could use it and a large proportion of the
> cmath module would be unneeded). However, I have to say that for me
> this is a purely theoretical issue - I've never had the need for the
> functionality myself in real code, and I doubt I ever will. Given the
> proliferation of special methods that would be needed, plus the
> runtime overhead of extra checking, I think the cost is likely too
> high.
>
> It's also worth noting the preamble text in the math module
> documentation - the functions there deliberately only handle floats,
> and are thin wrappers over the C standard library. To get any sort of
> generic behaviour, users need to use cmath, by design. So as stated
> the proposal is unlikely to get much support.
>
> Some alternative suggestions:
>
> 1. As already noted, you could include a gmpmath module with the
> relevant functions, and users could monkeypatch the math module if
> they wanted to do so.

The gmpy2 module provides a superset of the functions in math/cmath.
I'm trying to avoid name collisions if someone replaces "from math
import *" with "from gmpy2 import *". I know they shouldn't do
that....

> 2. To make such monkeypatching easier, publish a module that exposes a
> context manager to do the job:
>       with monkeypatch(math, 'sin', gmpmath.sin):
>           your code here...
>
> 3. Write a genericmath module that provides the "generic" versions
> you're proposing, and see how much use it gets - if it's sufficiently
> popular, you have a better case then for folding the functionality
> into at least cmath.
I'll try to put a prototype together. One issue with merging math and
cmath is that math.functions raise an exception instead of returning a
complex result. If it becomes a single module, should it return
complex values instead of raising an exception? That could be a major
change in someone's code. (gmpy2 uses a context manager to
enable/disable the return of a complex result from a real function.)

> 4. As Georg mentioned, numpy's ufuncs have a feature like this, so
> support that and people can use your types with numpy. That may be
> enough (depending on your expected user base).

I will look at numpy's ufuncs.

> Overall, I think the idea of being able to use user-defined types
> interchangeably with built-in ones is a good one, but it's not
> something Python goes out of its way to support. If the idea of
> generic functions had taken off, then this is an area where they would
> have fit nicely - but once again, there wasn't much enthusiasm from
> the core developers for addressing the types of problem they were
> aimed at.
>
> Paul.

casevh