[Python-ideas] Support multiplication for sets

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Oct 8 04:30:04 CEST 2011

Jakob Bowyer writes:

 > Well it was fun watching the process that is python-ideas and the
 > shooting down in flames that happens here. Can someone give me some
 > advice about what to think about/do for the next time that an idea
 > comes to mind?

0. Be familiar with the Zen (both the official "python -m this" and
   Apocrypha, such as "not every 3-line function needs to be a
   builtin").  Try to see how they apply to discussions you read even
   when not explicitly mentioned.

1. Do check the archives, of this list and python-dev.  There are
   some amazingly good teachers here.

2. If you're worried that the question might stupid or "obvious to the
   Dutch", you might float your trial balloon on python-list (aka
   comp.lang.python) first.

3. Make sure you know what the earlier problems with similar ideas
   were.  At least that way you can often manage a soft landing. :-)

4. Don't let the experience stop you from trying again.  There are no
   stupid questions -- except the unasked ones.  (But see (2); maybe
   there's a more appropriate venue to ask the first time.)