[Python-ideas] Another idea for a switch statement

Haoyi Li haoyi.sg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 06:09:38 CEST 2011

Generally, I don't think much of switch statements as they appear in
C/C++/Java. Those sorts of things can only switch on trivial data
(i.e. ints, chars, strings in C#) and go against the OO grain of the
language: They encourage people to store special "behavioral flags"
inside objects to modify their behavior with switches, rather than
using proper OO inheritance/subclassing.

Furthermore, they don't really provide much of a syntactic advantage
over chained elifs, or using a delegate dict (which has the advantage
of being programmatically modifiable. Both of those are far more
flexible and powerful.

Unless we're going all the way to F#/Haskell/Scala style 'match'
statements (which are completely awesome), there really isn't much
point in them.

-Haoyi