[Python-ideas] PEP 355 (overloading boolean operations) and chained comparisons

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 06:43:18 CEST 2011

On Oct 12, 2011, at 5:39 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> PEP 355 would allow NumPy to fix that by overriding the logical 'and'
> operation that is implicit in chained comparisons to force evaluation
> of the RHS and return the rich result.

Have you considered that what-is-good-for-numpy isn't necessarily good for Python as a whole?

Extended slicing and ellipsis tricks weren't so bad because they were easily ignored by general users.  In contrast, rich comparisons have burdened everyone (we've paid a price in many ways).

The numeric world really needs more operators than Python provides (a matrix multiplication operator for example), but I don't think Python is better-off by letting those needs leak back into the core language one-at-a-time.

Raymond