[Python-ideas] Statement local functions and classes (aka PEP 3150 is dead, say 'Hi!' to PEP 403)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 14:10:17 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:02 PM, Carl M. Johnson
<cmjohnson.mailinglist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2011, at 1:50 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
>> I'm much happier with the keyword - "postdef" provides a strong hint
>> to what it does, and also ties it in with the following function
>> definition.
>
> My 2 cents: postdef and @ seem to be a good pair, unless someone has a better name.

I also think that could work, but I do find 'def' an appealing
alternative to '@' because it's a much better intuition pump that the
thing it refers to is the object currently being defined. The '@',
however, wouldn't be hard to remember once you knew about it, works
nicely for both functions and classes, stands out visually even
without syntax highlighting and is hard to beat for brevity.

I suspect this is a case where a bigger set of example use cases and
lining up the two alternatives for each one would be useful.

Cheers,
Nick.