[Python-ideas] Statement local functions and classes (aka PEP 3150 is dead, say 'Hi!' to PEP 403)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Oct 14 08:56:09 CEST 2011

Nick Coghlan wrote:

> So is the "inline vs given statement" question really any more scary
> than the "should I factor this out into a function" question?

Especially since the factored-out functions could be
written either before or after the place where they're
used, maybe not even on the same page, and maybe not
even in the same source file...

> I expect the style guidelines will boil down to:
> - as a general rule, given statements should be used for code that
> could reasonably be factored out into its own function

Also perhaps:

- If you're assigning some things to local names and then
using them just once in a subsequent expression, consider
using a 'given' statement.

I would also be inclined to add that if you're using the
'given' style in a particular function, you should use
it *consistently*. For instance, consider the earlier example

>     result = flange(thingie) given:
>         thingie = doohickie(majiger) given:
>             part_a = source / 2
>             part_b = source ** 2
>             majiger = blender(part_a, part_b)

Why have we used the 'given' style for 'thingie' and
'majiger', but fallen back on the sequential style for
'part_a' and 'part_b'? It would be more consistent to
write it as

     result = flange(thingie) given:
         thingie = doohickie(majiger) given:
             majiger = blender(part_a, part_b) given:
                 part_a = source / 2
                 part_b = source ** 2

The flow of data from one place to another within the
function is now very clear:

    source -----> part_a -----> blender --> doohickie --> flange
             \--> part_b --/

--