[Python-ideas] Draft PEP for virtualenv in the stdlib

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Oct 26 03:26:07 CEST 2011

On 10/25/2011 4:28 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> Yeah, I realised I don't actually mind if things get copied around on
> Windows - it's the POSIX systems where implicit copying would bother
> me, and that goes to the heart of a longstanding difference in
> packaging philosophy between the two platforms :)

I have a different issue with copying. I have a new Win7 system with a
solid state disk for programs (that usually sit unchanged months or
years at a time). It is nice and fast, but has a finite write-cycle
lifetime. So unnecessary copies are not nice. I presume venv could be
told to copy onto the data disk, but then everything runs slower.

--
Terry Jan Reedy