[Python-ideas] Draft PEP for virtualenv in the stdlib

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Oct 26 06:50:03 CEST 2011

On 10/25/2011 11:24 PM, alex23 wrote:
> On Oct 26, 11:26 am, Terry Reedy<tjre... at udel.edu>  wrote:
>> I have a different issue with copying. I have a new Win7 system with a
>> solid state disk for programs (that usually sit unchanged months or
>> years at a time). It is nice and fast, but has a finite write-cycle
>> lifetime.
>
> As you said, though, you're using it for primarily static programs. If
> you're concerned with its lifetime, would you really use it for
> development?

I don't. I put a (static) .pth file in site-packages that points to my
development directory on the hard disk, where I happily edit and test
sometimes several times an hour.

> The onus that SSD afficiendos place on others to not use drives as
> writeable data stores seems absolutely crazy to me.

I said a) I would prefer to not have an unnecessary duplication but b)
if a copy is to be made, I would like to have a choice of which drive to
use. That does not strike me as 'absolutely crazy'.

--
Terry Jan Reedy