[Python-ideas] Draft PEP for virtualenv in the stdlib

Tim Delaney timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 06:54:38 CEST 2011

On 26 October 2011 14:24, alex23 <wuwei23 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 26, 11:26 am, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
> > I have a different issue with copying. I have a new Win7 system with a
> > solid state disk for programs (that usually sit unchanged months or
> > years at a time). It is nice and fast, but has a finite write-cycle
> > lifetime.
>
> As you said, though, you're using it for primarily static programs. If
> you're concerned with its lifetime, would you really use it for
> development?
>
> The onus that SSD afficiendos place on others to not use drives as
> writeable data stores seems absolutely crazy to me.

As such an afficionado, I agree that trying not to use it as a writeable
data store seems crazy. All current SSDs have a sufficient number of
write-erase cycles that you would need to be writing to the entire drive
non-stop for years before it became an issue.

If you're worried, get more RAM and configure a RAM disk as your temporary
store. If nothing else, it speeds up compiles significantly ...

Tim Delaney