[Python-ideas] Cofunctions - Back to Basics

Mark Shannon mark at hotpy.org
Sun Oct 30 16:34:56 CET 2011

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Paul Moore wrote:
>> There's one further piece of the puzzle I'd
>> like to see covered, though - with the language support as defined in
>> the PEP, can the functionality be implemented library-style (like Lua)
>> or does it need new syntax?
>
> While it might not need new syntax, it does hinge
> fundamentally on changing the way the interpreter loop
> works, so I don't think a library implementation would
> be possible.

You are correct in saying that it would require a change to the
interpreter loop, but that does mean it needs new syntax.
I still think that a Coroutine class is the cleanest interface.

It seems to me that the greenlets approach may have to be the way
forward. IMHO the yield-from approach is rather clunky.
I think that flattening the interpreter is the most elegant solution,
but the C calls presents in all operators and many functions is a killer.

Cheers,
Mark.