[Python-ideas] Add from __experimental__ import bla [was: Should we move to replace re with regex?]

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 01:31:41 CEST 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> (*) Can we pick a terminology so we all agree that "3.3.3" is a "minor
>> release", "3.3" is a "major release", and "3" an "earthshattering
>> release"? Or other terms -- but something that is both agreed upon and
>> clear enough without explanation. I'm tired of having to clarify minor
>> and major every time I use them out of fear they'll be mistaken for
>> "3" and "3.3".
>
> Given that there's no general industry agreement on what those things mean,
> "clear enough without explanation" is probably unrealistic. On the other
> hand, a PEP or some similar document that lays out the terminology used for
> python releases (and encouraged for python libraries) would let you assume
> that python people had read that explanation, and make a reference to it
> easy (i.e."see PEP XXXX").

That PEP is PEP 101 (at least as far as Python releases go), and it is
currently a little inconsistent (using major.minor.micro in some
sections, as the devguide and sys.version_info apparently also do, but
also referring to feature releases as major releases on at least one
occasion). PEP 386 (which aims to standardise version numbering within
the wider Python ecosystem) doesn't mandate a naming scheme (only a
numbering one), but does refer to the major.minor.micro names in the
explanatory text.

Personally, I agree with others that "feature release" and "bug fix
release" are as close as we're likely to get to unambiguous names for
the way Python itself uses x.y and x.y.z release numbering.

Creating a new version of the language itself is rare enough that I
don't think it really needs a generic name. Although with the
accumulated baggage that 3.0 swept away, "spring cleaning release"
might be appropriate :)

Cheers,
Nick.