[Python-ideas] aliasing

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Sep 2 07:19:58 CEST 2011

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> MRAB writes:
>
>  > Fortran also pre-dated stack allocation (I think), so local storage was
>  > static (and no recursion!).
>
> If FORTRAN [sic] predated stack allocation, what did Lisp use to
> handle recursion?

I don't see the connection. The first proposal for Fortran was 1953,
with the first public release in 1957, while John McCarthy didn't start
work on Lisp until 1958. I'm not sure when a Lisp compiler was first
available, but there's no doubt that Fortran pre-dates Lisp. But even if
it didn't, there's no logical inconsistency between Lisp using stack
allocation and Fortran not. (There's no evidence that I can see that
either language influenced the other directly.)

--
Steven