[Python-ideas] allow line break at operators

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Sep 5 01:21:23 CEST 2011

MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> writes:

> What I mean is that I'd still forbid a newline between the quotes. Is
> this acceptable?
>
>     "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
>       consectetur adipiscing elit."
>
> I'd say not.

I agree with you on that.

But I don't know how to terminologically distinguish that from my
example; they're both one string literal.

Perhaps we who hold this position should say that “bracketing syntax”,
for the purpose of statement continuation, should not include string
quotes ‘'’ or ‘"’; we already have triple-quoted strings for that
purpose.

--
 \       “It is wrong to think that the task of physics is to find out |
  `\         how nature *is*. Physics concerns what we can *say* about |