[Python-ideas] List Revolution

Bruce Leban bruce at leapyear.org
Sat Sep 10 04:41:08 CEST 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Christopher King <g.nius.ck at gmail.com>wrote:

> <snip> I say we make the first element 1, second 2, third 3, and so on.
> Other languages would follow. We are python, made for easiness
> and readability, and we are in the age where you can't even get something as
> small as a kilobyte USB. We must make first one, second 2, and third 3, like
> it is supposed to be. I give this:
> *+1*

Well, given Guido's endorsement, I think we need to change how these +1/-1
votes work. Clearly, +1 means what +0 used to mean. So you have to say +2 to
vote in favor of something and -0 to vote against. I know it will be
confusing during the transition period but it will be so much easier to use
when we are done.

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> Nice one! Reminds me of these two lines from the zen of Python:
>
>    There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it.
>    Although that way may not be obvious at first unless you're Dutch.

Given this change, I think you mean:

There should be two -- and preferably only two -- obvious ways to do it.

--- Bruce
Follow me: http://www.twitter.com/Vroo http://www.vroospeak.com