[Python-ideas] Object interface to path names

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 09:17:23 CEST 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 3:49 PM, David Townshend <aquavitae69 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer - PyFilesystem looks perfect for my requirements!
> I've had a look at PEP 355 and can see the drawbacks to the proposed
> implementation (especially subclassing str), but I'm not clear on what the
> problems are with the concept.

There's nothing wrong with the concept of a more object-oriented
interface to the filesystem - PEP 355 was rejected due to the
specifics of the proposed API rather than the idea in general being
unacceptable.

However, designing a nice OO filesystem API, getting feedback on it,
getting it to a point where it is evolving slowly enough to be a
suitable for inclusion in the stdlib, then getting it through the
gauntlet of python-dev's design and implementation critique for
standard library inclusion isn't exactly a task for the faint-hearted
:)

> Would something like PyFilesystem be any
> more palatable?

I don't know the PyFilesystem API well enough to really say. However,
from my quick review of the docs, it has potential. It's API oriented
approach definitely aligns well with the role of the standard library
in other areas (such as the file-like API itself, as well as more
formal interfaces like the DB API and the crypto component APIs).

I've cc'ed Ryan on a couple of messages in this thread, so hopefully
he'll be inclined to chime in.

Cheers,
Nick.