[Python-ideas] [Python-Dev] Persistent Python - a la Smalltalk

Spectral One ghostwriter402 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 01:52:47 CEST 2011

On 9/19/2011 10:59 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Glyph Lefkowitz
> <glyph at twistedmatrix.com>  wrote:
>> So, trust me: there are alligators in that pickle.
> +1 QOTW

Now I want to try a spicy gator pickle... (that _is_ a great quote.)

The only way I could see something like this working is on a closed
system, s.t. there are no assumptions or interactions (files
open/locked, external window managers/states, etc.) that cannot be fully
accounted for by the values of the system itself. (You could
theoretically attempt to record the information not available form
interrogating the current state as such are declared, but there would be
lots of room for errors, and, even then, no guarantees.)

I don't think Python is the correct place to attempt such a thing. This
sounds more like a VM- or OS-level affair, to me. I CAN see some value
in adding functionality to ease interaction with such features, such as
invoking or being aware when it's invoked.

I guess I want to know what problem this is intended to solve. If it's
purely theoretical, that's cool, but I'd like to know. If not, can you
explain why it would help you? That would help me understand this idea
better.

-Nate