[Python-ideas] Before and after the colon in funciton defs.

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 10:21:12 CEST 2011

On 22 September 2011 09:11, Jan Kaliszewski <zuo at chopin.edu.pl> wrote:
> But then you lose important advantages of the expression variant --
> especially that assignment is not a part of the syntax construct so it
> not only more powerfull but also more explicit and clear for newcomers:
> any assignment is at run-time and normal assignment rules apply to it.
>
> A bit like in case of `yield EXPR`.

A concern I have with the expression variant is that I don't
understand what it would mean except in the restricted contexts it's
been discussed in. Can you describe the semantics of

    static EXPR

in isolation, so that we're not just interpreting it in terms of its
use in an assignment, and can understand the wider implications?

Thanks,
Paul.