[Python-ideas] Tweaking closures and lexical scoping to include the function being defined

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Sep 28 03:17:16 CEST 2011

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Arnaud Delobelle<arnodel at gmail.com>  wrote:

>> I may be unduly worrying about this, but it feels to me that it
>> lessens the overall tidiness of the language.  I would much rather
>> there was a way to initialise these "own" variables outside the body
>> of the function.
>
> Yes, you have a point. Hiding side effects this way could be nasty,
> and this is actually the first point in favor of the default argument
> hack I've heard in a while. :-)

I have several times written on python-list that Python has a simple
rule: header expressions (for default args) are evaluated one-time when
the function is defined; body expressions are evaluated (perhaps) each
time when the function is called. If people understand this and do not
fight it, they are not surprised that mutating a once-defined default
arg mutates it, nor that defining a function inside a loop magically
causes define-time binding of names in the body.

I would hate for Python to lose this simplicity. I consider it one of
its positive features.

--
Terry Jan Reedy