[Python-ideas] breaking out of module execution

Ron Adam ron3200 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 18:06:23 CEST 2012

On 04/24/2012 03:15 PM, Mark Shannon wrote:
> This has to be the only few feature request that can implemented by
> removing code :)
> I implemented this by deleting 2 lines of code from the compiler.

Does it also allow returns in class bodies when you do that?

>>> class A:
...    return
   File "<stdin>", line 2
SyntaxError: 'return' outside function

Weather or not it does.  I think modules are closer to class bodies and
return should be a syntax error in that case as well.  They aren't
functions and we shouldn't think of them that way.  IMHO  It would make
Python harder to learn when the lines between them get blurred.