[Python-ideas] changing sys.stdout encoding

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 12:20:30 CEST 2012

The write buffer can be flushed, so I don't see the problem of changing the
encoding of stdout and stderr (except potential mojibake).

For stdin, TextIOWrapper has a readahead algorithm, so changing the
encoding may seek backward. It cannot be done if stdin is not seekable (ex:
if stdin is a pipe).

I wrote a Python implementation of set_encoding, see my patch attached to
the issue.

http://bugs.python.org/15216

Victor