[Python-ideas] Unpack of sequences

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Aug 30 17:16:09 CEST 2012

On 30/08/12 18:38, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Paul Moore<p.f.moore at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Rereading the above, the only major issue I see with this is that the
>> comma/colon distinction is visually a bit too light. Adding parens
>> might help, but probably gets a bit too punctuation-heavy:
>>
>>      bind (a=None, b=None): *args
>>      bind (a=None, b=None, **other): **mapping
>
> We use "bind" as a method name in the standard library. Other possible
> keywords are likely to have the same problem - it's not a space rich
> in suitable terminology.

The Moby thesaurus lists 269 synonyms for "bind", and in my opinion not
a single one other than bind itself is appropriate.

There are 125 synonyms for "glue" (with some significant overlap),
including "yoke" which I think holds promise. It's unlikely to exist
in many people's code, and it has the right meaning of joining together.
But I'm not sure that the associations with oxen yoked together is
good or helpful.

--
Steven