[Python-ideas] async: feedback on EventLoop API

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Dec 17 21:49:46 CET 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 09:47:22 -0800
> Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> (BTW, can someone *please* come up with a better name for DelayedCall?
>> It's tedious and doesn't abbreviate well. But I don't want to name the
>> class 'Callback' since I already use 'callback' for function objects
>> that are used as callbacks.)
>
> Does it need to be abbreviated? I don't think users have to spell
> "DelayedCall" at all (they just call call_later()).

They save the result in a variable. Naming that variable delayed_call
feels awkward. In my code I've called it 'dcall' but that's not great
either.

> That said, some proposals:
> - Timer (might be mixed up with threading.Timer)

But often there's no time involved...

> - Deadline

Same...

> - RDV (French abbrev. for rendez-vous)

Hmmmm. :-)

Maybe Callback is okay after all? The local variable can be 'cb'.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)