[Python-ideas] Order in the documentation search results

Stefan Drees stefan at drees.name
Mon Dec 31 08:47:11 CET 2012

On 30.12.12 20:45, Georg Brandl wrote:
> On 12/30/2012 07:11 PM, Ned Batchelder wrote:
>> On 12/30/2012 12:54 PM, Hernan Grecco wrote:
>>> I have seen many people new to Python stumbling while using the Python
>>> docs due to the order of the search results.
>>> So my suggestion is to put the builtins first, the rest of the
>>> standard lib later including HowTos, FAQ, etc and finally the
>>> c-modules. Additionally, a section with a title matching exactly the
>>> search query should come first. (I am not sure if the last suggestion
>>> belongs in python-ideas or in
>>> the sphinx mailing list, please advice)
>>
>> While we're on the topic, why in this day and age do we have a custom
>> search?  Using google site search would be faster for the user, and more
>> accurate.
>
> I agree.  Someone needs to propose a patch though.

a custom search in itself is a wonderful thing. To me it also shows more
appreciation of visitor concerns than thoses sites, that are just
_offering_ google site search (which is accessible anyway to every
visitor capable of memorizing the google or bing or whatnot URL).

I second Hernans suggestion about ordering and also his question where
the request (and patches) should be directed to.

All the best,
Stefan.