[Python-ideas] matrix operations on dict :)

Simon Sapin simon.sapin at kozea.fr
Mon Feb 6 23:18:30 CET 2012

Le 06/02/2012 21:01, julien tayon a écrit :
> Proposing vector operations on dict, and acknowledging there was an
> homeomorphism from rooted n-ary trees to dict, was inducing the
> possibility of making matrix of dict / trees.

Hi,

I studied linear algebra and I think I understand it fairly well.
However, after reading your email and the linked documentation, I’m just
confused. I really don’t know what this is about.

I *think* that you are defining something like a mathematical group[1]
or ring[2], but:

* Over what elements? (Any dict? dicts with some property?)
* How exactly are your "addition" and "multiplication" (if any) defined?
* Why? I’m sure I could come up with a well-defined but absurd (and
useless) "group", but why is yours interesting?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_%28mathematics%29
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_%28mathematics%29

Regards,

--