[Python-ideas] Add a recursive function to the glob package

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 13:08:38 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Yuval Greenfield <ubershmekel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Many times I've wanted glob to give me all the "*.zip" or "*.py" or "*.h"
> files in a directory and subdirectories ever since I started using python 7
> years ago.
> I don't know if I'm the only one or not but here's a patch:
> http://bugs.python.org/issue13968
> I'd love to hear feedback on the notion and implementation,

walkdir [1] is designed to handle that use case and more.

>>> from walkdir import file_paths, filtered_walk
>>> paths = file_paths(filtered_walk('.', included_files=['*.py']))
>>> print('\n'.join(sorted(paths)))

It's not completely certain yet, but there's a fair chance I'll be
adding at least a subset of the walkdir API to shutil in 3.3 (the idea
actually started as just adding os.filtered_walk() to shutil, but I
moved it to PyPI to give people an opportunity to try out the API.

[1] http://walkdir.readthedocs.org