[Python-ideas] Python 3000 TIOBE -3%

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Thu Feb 9 19:30:55 CET 2012

On 09.02.2012 19:02, Terry Reedy wrote:

> And make installing Python on the Mac a lottery?

Or a subset of NumPy?

The main offender is numpy.linalg, with needs a BLAS library that should
be tuned to the hardware. (There is a reason NumPy and SciPy binary
installers on Windows are bloated.) And from what I have seen on
complaints building NumPy on Mav it tends to be the BLAS/LAPACK stuff
that drives people crazy, particularly those who want to use ATLAS
(Which is a bit stupid, as OpenBLAS/GotoBLAS2 is easier to build and
much faster.) If Python comes with NumPy built against Netlib reference
BLAS, there will be lots of complaints that "Matlab is so much faster
then Python" when it is actually the BLAS libraries that are different.
But I am not sure we want 50-100 MB of bloat in the Python binary
installer just to cover all possible cases of CPU-tuned
OpenBLAS/GotoBLAS2 or ATLAS libraries.

Sturla