[Python-ideas] Python 3000 TIOBE -3%

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Feb 9 20:03:26 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Massimo Di Pierro <
massimo.dipierro at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think if easy_install, gevent, numpy (*), and win32 extensions where
> included in 3.x, together with a slightly better Idle (still based on
> Tkinter, with multiple pages, autocompletion, collapsible, line numbers,
> better printing with syntax highlitghing), and if easy_install were
> accessible via Idle, this would be a killer version.

IIRC gevent still needs to be ported to 3.x (maybe someone with the
necessary skills should apply to the PSF for funding). But the rest sounds
like the domain of a superinstaller, not inclusion in the stdlib. IDLE will
never be able to compete with Eclipse -- you can love one or the other bot
not both.

Longer term removing the GIL and using garbage collection should be a
> priority. I am not sure what is involved and how difficult it is but
> perhaps this is what PyCon money can be used for.

I think the best way to accomplish both is to focus on PyPy. It needs
porting to 3.x; Google has already given them some money towards this goal.

> If this cannot be done without breaking backward compatibility again, then
> 3.x should be considered an experimental branch, people should be advised
> to stay with 2.7 (2.8?) and then skip to 4.x directly when these problems
> are resolved.

That's really bad advice. 4.x will not be here for another decade.

> Python should not make a habit of breaking backward compatibility.

Agreed. 4.x should be fully backwards compatible -- with 3.x, not with 2.x.

It would be really nice if it were to include an async web server (based on
> gevent for example) and better parser for HTTP headers and a python based
> template language (like mako or the web2py one) not just for the web but
> for document generation in general.

Again, that's a bundling issue. With the infrequency of Python releases,
anything still under development is much better off being distributed
separately. Bundling into core Python requires a package to be essentially
stable, i.e., dead.

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)