[Python-ideas] Python 3000 TIOBE -3%

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Thu Feb 9 20:08:36 CET 2012

On 09.02.2012 19:50, Masklinn wrote:

> I don't think I've seen a serious refcounted JS implementation in the last
> decade. , although it is possible that JS runtimes have localized usage
> of references and reference-counted resources. AFAIK all modern JS
> runtimes are JITed which probably does not mesh well with refcounting.
>
> In any case, V8 (Chrome's runtime) uses a stop-the-world generational
> GC for sure[0],

And Chrome uses one *process* for each tab, right? Is there a reason
Chrome does not use one thread for each tab, such as security?

> Only because it's OS threads of course, Erlang is not evented and has no
> problem spawning half a million (preempted) processes if there's RAM
> enough to store them.

Actually, spawning half a million OS threads will burn the computer.

*POFF*

... and it goes up in a ball of smoke.

Spawning half a million threads is the Windows equivalent of a fork bomb.

I think you confuse threads and fibers/coroutines.

Sturla