[Python-ideas] Python 3000 TIOBE -3%

Giampaolo Rodolà g.rodola at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 20:16:00 CET 2012

Il 09 febbraio 2012 18:35, Matt Joiner <anacrolix at gmail.com> ha scritto:
> From my own observations, the recent drop is sure to uncertainty with Python
> 3, and an increase of alternatives on server side, such as Node.
>
> The transition is only going to get more painful as system critical software
> lags on 2.x while users clamour for 3.x.

I think it's not only a matter of 3th party modules not being ported
quickly enough or the amount of work involved when facing the 2->3
conversion.
I bet a lot of people don't want to upgrade for another reason: unicode.
The impression I got is that python 3 forces the user to use and
*understand* unicode and a lot of people simply don't want to deal
with that.
In python 2 there was no such a strong imposition.
Python 2 string type acting both as bytes and as text was certainly
ambiguos and "impure" on different levels and changing that was
definitively a win in terms of purity and correctness.
I bet most advanced users are happy with this change.
On the other hand, Python 2 average user was free to ignore that
distinction even if that meant having subtle bugs hidden somewhere in
his/her code.
I think this aspect shouldn't be underestimated.

--- Giampaolo
http://code.google.com/p/pyftpdlib/
http://code.google.com/p/psutil/
http://code.google.com/p/pysendfile/