[Python-ideas] Python 3000 TIOBE -3%

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Feb 10 05:36:36 CET 2012

On 2/9/2012 2:31 PM, Matt Joiner wrote:
>> Isn't that more accurate for framework writers, rather than for
>> "average" users?  How often do average users have to address
>> encoding/decoding in Python 3?
>
> Constantly. As a Python noob I tried Python 3 it was the first wall I
> encountered.

I am really puzzled what you mean. I have used Python 3 since 3.0 alpha
and as long as I have used strictly ascii, I have encountered no such
issues.
 >>> f = open('f:/python/mypy/test.txt', 'w')
 >>> f.write('test line 1\n')
12
 >>> f.write('test line 2 and more\n')
21
 >>> f.close()
Now I can open in any other program, or open in Python.

I have learned about unicode, but just so I could play around with
other characters.

 > I had to learn Unicode right then and there. Fortunately,
> the Python docs HOWTO on Unicode is excellent.

Were you doing some non-ascii or non-average framework-like things?
Would you really not have had to learn the same about unicode if you
were using 2.x?

--
Terry Jan Reedy