[Python-ideas] Python 3000 TIOBE -3%

Oleg Broytman phd at phdru.name
Thu Feb 9 16:28:42 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 05:13:03PM +0200, Yuval Greenfield wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Masklinn <masklinn at masklinn.net> wrote:
> > On 2012-02-09, at 15:36 , anatoly techtonik wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I didn't want to grow FUD on python-dev, but a FUD there seems to be a
> > good
> > > topic for discussion here.
> > > http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
> >
> > 1. Python-ideas is not the right place for this stuff (neither is
> > Python-dev, by the way)
> > 2. Why would anybody care exactly?
>
>    1. Where would be the correct place to talk about a grand state of
>    python affairs?

   Nowhere because:
1. Nobody cares. This is Free Software, and we are scratching our own
itches.
2. Do you consider Python developers stupid? Do you think they don't
have any idea how things are going on in the wild?

>    2. Like it or not, many use such ratings to decide which language to
>    learn, which language to use for their next project and whether or not to
>    be proud of their language of choice.

   Java (or Perl, or whatever) has won, hands down. Congrats to them! Can
we please return to our own development? We are not going to conquer the
world, are we?

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytman            http://phdru.name/            phd at phdru.name