[Python-ideas] Python 3000 TIOBE -3%

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Feb 10 20:15:21 CET 2012

Mike Meyer wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 19:36:52 +0100
> "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> In cases where the GIL does cause problems, it's usually better to
>> consider changing the application design and use asynchronous processing
>> with a single threaded design or a multi-process design where each of
>> the processes only uses a low number of threads (20-50 per process).
>
> Just a warning: mixing threads and forks can be hazardous to your
> sanity. In particular, forking a process that has threads running has
> behaviors, problems and solutions that vary between Unix
> variants. Best to make sure you've done all your forks before you
> create a thread if you want your code to be portable.

Right.

Applications using such strategies will usually have long running
processes, so it's often better to spawn new processes than
to use fork. This also helps if you want to bind processes to
cores.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 10 2012)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/