[Python-ideas] Python 3000 TIOBE -3%

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Fri Feb 10 20:54:35 CET 2012

On 10.02.2012 19:36, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> By the time we 100 core CPUs, we'll be measuring RAM in TB, so that
> shouldn't be a problem ;-)

Actually, Python is already great for those. They are called GPUs, and
OpenCL is all about text processing.

> In cases where the GIL does cause problems, it's usually better to
> consider changing the application design and use asynchronous processing
> with a single threaded design or a multi-process design where each of
> the processes only uses a low number of threads (20-50 per process).

The "GIL problem" is much easier to analyze than most Python developers
using Linux might think:

- Windows has no fork system call. SunOS used to have a very slow fork
system call. The majority of Java developers worked with Windows or Sun,
and learned to work with threads.

For which the current summary is:

- The GIL sucks because Windows has no fork.

Which some might say is the equivalent of:

- Windows sucks.

Sturla