[Python-ideas] The concurrency discussion is off-topic!

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 16:15:29 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 13:41:57 +0200
> Christopher Reay
> <christopherreay at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Its not like there is a huge amount of traffic in python-ideas
>
> Are you kidding?
>
> The idiotic "TIOBE -3%" discussion thread is probably in the hundred of
> answers now. That's for a completely vacuous thread launched 4 days ago
> by a well-known troll.

Well-known troll is +1 that proposal to write to an empty list sounds like
"you're not welcome here with your multiprocessing". I guess you didn't
mention that, so the problem probably that you can not handle the list
traffic, and read all interesting Python ideas - not speaking about
answering to all of them with your opinion. No problem with that either -
nobody can. That's why there was proposal about Etherpad, which summaries
would be as interesting for Python community as different blog posts from
core devs.

python-ideas is not a playground for people with an opinion.
> It's a communication tool for core development.

Since many of (potential) core devs are not able to cope up with traffic in
main lists, I'd propose to look for a better communication tool that at
least allows easy selective subscription (like Google Groups) and makes
sure interested parties have accessible instrument (for a reference to
accessibility read Steve Yegge's rant at
https://plus.google.com/112678702228711889851/posts/eVeouesvaVX) to
subscribe and participate (search, tree with all mailing lists and
one-button subscription). I've heard Pinax guys are rethinking their
Tribes/Groups feature -
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/pinax-users/Wze7L2LlwjM-
perhaps you should communicate with them.

> Thanks

P.S. I am not changing the subject of this thread to stop spawning another
"completely vacuous thread".
P.P.S. Too bad I can not be at PyCon this year.
--
anatoly t.