[Python-ideas] Python 3000 TIOBE -3%

Yuval Greenfield ubershmekel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 19:58:01 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Carl M. Johnson <
cmjohnson.mailinglist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2012, at 10:50 PM, Christopher Reay wrote:
>
> > +1 for the URL in the exception. Well in all exceptions
> >
> > Bringing the language into the 21st century.
> > Great entry points for learning about the language.
>
> That's not a bad idea. We might want to use some kind of URL shortener for
> length and future proofing though. If the site changes, we can have
> redirection of the short URLs updated. Something like http://pyth.on/e1234 -->
> http://docs.python.org/library/exceptions.html

I think we can use wiki.python.org/ for hosting exception specific content.
E.g. http://wiki.python.org/moin/PrintFails needs a lot of love and care.

Microsoft actually has documentation for every single compiler and linker
error that ever existed. Not that we have the same amount of resources at
our disposal, but it is a nice concept.

Concerning the shortened url's - I'd go with trustworthiness over
compactness - http://python.org/s1 or http://python.org/s/1 would be better
than http://pyth.on/1 imo.

Yuval