[Python-ideas] Py3 unicode impositions

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Wed Feb 15 01:10:29 CET 2012

oh good, this long thread has already started talking about encoding
detection packages.  now I don't have to bring it up.  :)

I suggest we link to one or more of these from the Python docs to
their pypi project pages as a suggestion for users that need to deal
with the real world of legacy data files in a variety of undeclared
format rather than the internet world of utf-8 or bust.

At some point it might be interesting to have a library like this in
the stdlib along with a common API for other compatible libraries but
I'm not sure any are ready for such a consideration. Is their behavior
stable or still learning based on new inputs?

-gps