[Python-ideas] Python 3000 TIOBE -3%

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Feb 15 01:15:36 CET 2012

MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> writes:

> On 14/02/2012 21:43, Jim Jewett wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 6:39 AM, Carl M. Johnson
> > <cmjohnson.mailinglist at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >
> >>  OK, so concrete proposals: update the docs and maybe make a
> >>  synonym for Latin-1 that makes it more semantically obvious that
> >>  you're not really using it as Latin-1, just as a easy to pass through
> >>  encoding. Anything else? Any bike shedding on the synonym?
[…]

> encoding="mojibake" # :-)

+1

If people want to remain wilfully ignorant of text encoding in the third
millennium of our calendar, then a name like “mojibake” is clear about
what they'll get, and will perhaps be publicly embarrassing enough that
some proportion of programmers will decide to reduce their ignorance and
use a specific encoding instead.

--
 \         “Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. The first |
  `\     principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the |