[Python-ideas] Adding shm_open to mmap?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 07:58:55 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
> I'd prefer to provide shm_open on Windows if at all possible. The
> "sorta-kinda" bothers me. That would also allow for an application to
> exit and then resume work stored in a mapped segment (something I've
> done before). However, setting this up on Windows isn't something I
> can do.

That's the purpose of the "Availability" markers in the docs - to
allow a POSIX implementation to be added directly, then, if it's
confirmed to work on Windows, or someone implements the necessary
additional parts to make it work, the Availability restriction can be
dropped. The OS interface on Windows is just too different for us to
gate all OS service additions on having a working Windows version of
the feature. (It's not *ideal* when that happens, of course, but it's
a practical concession to the fact that our pool of Windows developers
is significantly smaller than our pool of *nix and OS X developers).

Cheers,
Nick.