[Python-ideas] Python 3000 TIOBE -3%

Christopher Reay christopherreay at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 09:14:17 CET 2012

+1000

Great, lets do that

Will I be repetitive if I say "can we put a link in the
"UnicodeDecodeError" docstring?
At the top of that page have "FOR   BEGINNERS" or "Mugh, just make this
error go away, Now", and this info from Nick
Also link to all the other tons and tons of stuff that exists on
UnicodeDecoding...

Chardet does nothing like the complex character set decoding that any of
the browsers accomplish.
Also, it almost always calls "latin-1" encoded files "latin-2" and
"latin-someOtherNumber", which actually doesnt work to decode the data.
The browsers can translate seemingly untouchable mush of mixed char
encodings into UTF-8 (on my linux box) without hiccupping. I tried to
emulate their behaviour for almost a week before I gave up. To be fair, I
was at that time char set newbie, and I guess I still am, though my scraper
works properly.

Christopherq